Design Principles: Exercises

 01/04/19-19/04/19 (Week 1-Week 3)

Angelina Lee An Qi (0334272)

Design Principles

Exercises


Lecture Notes

Lecture 3 (17/04/19): Symmetry, Asymmetry & BalanceWeek 3: Our contrast and gestalt pieces were critiqued this week. My team also did a presentation on this week's topics.
Our presentation link: https://prezi.com/view/LCZPLQomdzDf46EePGwY/
Our quiz link: https://create.kahoot.it/share/symmetry-asymmetry-balance/004e72f4-6b1a-4ed4-9fc2-ff22d0573d01
Symmetry: When elements of the same size and shape are arranged on both sides of an axis to create order in a design.
Types of symmetry:
- Reflection (Bilateral)
- Rotational (Radial)
- Translational (Crystallographic)
Asymmetry: Opposite of symmetry; an uneven design which is still nice to look at. Can be used to create tension.
Balance
: distribution of elements of design.
: a visual interpretation of gravity in design.
: even distribution of visual images.
Lecture 2 (10/04/19): GestaltWeek 2: "The Gestalt Effect" is the capability of our brain to generate whole forms, particularly with respect to the visual recognition of global figures instead of just collections of simpler and unrelated elements (points, lines, curves, etc.) [source: Wikipedia]
Proximity: When different elements are laid out close to each other, they are perceived to be belonging to the same group.
Similarity: Objects with shared visual characteristics are automatically taken to be related.
Multi-stability: The ability of our eyes to see two different things within a single image or design.
Continuity: Elements which are aligned with each other are perceived as visually associated.
Closure: Refers to making something concrete, bringing something into being or making something real.
Lecture 1 (03/04/19): Introduction to the module, Contrast
Week 1:
We were briefed on what is expected of us during the next 14 weeks. We were also given our first exercise under the topic 'Contrast'.
Contrast is the difference of light colours and dark colours to create a wholesome image. There can be strong contrast or subtle contrast. 


Instructions


Exercises

Week 3: Symmetry, Asymmetry & Balance
Our presentation link: https://prezi.com/view/LCZPLQomdzDf46EePGwY/
Our quiz link: https://create.kahoot.it/share/symmetry-asymmetry-balance/004e72f4-6b1a-4ed4-9fc2-ff22d0573d01
Materials used:
- Pencil
- Watercolour
Week 2: Gestalt
Materials used:
- Pencil
- Black gouache paint
These were the photos that gave me inspiration:








I did a few sketches and a draft on the bottom right:
WhatsApp Image 2019-04-17 at 11.41.09 AM

This was the piece I showed for the critique session on Week 3.WhatsApp Image 2019-04-17 at 11.41.48 AM

After the critique session in week 3, I decided to simplify my gestalt piece. This is the linework of it:
WhatsApp Image 2019-04-18 at 3.17.08 PM

This is the final piece:
WhatsApp Image 2019-04-18 at 3.17.08 PM(1)
Week 1: Contrast
Materials used:
- Black sugar paper
- Glue
I derived my inspiration mainly from these two photos:
7765d35d43277ea4eecb04f8b7ae7396Jims

These are the sketches and draft I did for my piece:
[gallery ids="198,199,196,195,194" type="rectangular"]

This is my final piece:
WhatsApp Image 2019-04-11 at 10.39.14 PM(1)

Since there was leftover black paper from my final piece, I decided to do an inverted colour one. Unfortunately, some of the eye tore off and I was unable to find the piece.WhatsApp Image 2019-04-11 at 10.39.14 PM











Feedback

Week 3: Ms Sherry said that my contrast piece gives off a very calm and stable image. However, my gestalt piece has to be refined as it became a bit too complicated for gestaltism.
Week 2: There wasn't any feedback during this week because the whole class was in confusion with our timetables.
Week 1: We were given our first exercise this week, so there wasn't any feedback.


Reflections

Experience:
Week 3: My team did a presentation on symmetry, asymmetry and balance. I felt that our extra effort this early on will help give us a little bit more time to focus on assignments later in the semester.
Week 2: I was looking forward to the critique session during this week and was a tad bit disappointed when we spent the first half of the lecture sorting out our timetables and the second half on the gestalt lecture.
Week 1: I drew four drafts for my contrast piece. I was quite satisfied with it.

Observations:
Week 3: I still have a long way to go with my art.
Week 2: Our timetable was changing here and there.
Week 1: I made another contrast piece with inverted black and white colours with the leftover pieces I cut out while making the first one, but I accidentally tore the part connecting the eyebrow and the eye.

Findings:
Week 3: I learnt how much I need to improve my art.
Week 2: I got some inspiration for my gestalt piece online.
Week 1: I found that I tend to learn a bit more looking up many references for a topic.


Comments

Popular Posts