Video & Sound Production: Final Project


09/10/19-27/11/19 (Week 7-Week 14)

Angelina Lee An Qi (0334272)

Video & Sound Production

Final Project



Instructions



 

Final Project



Week 1: Basic Video Editing & Discovering Stop Motions

This is "Distortion" by Guldies. I found it interesting because it seems quite simple but at the same time it is very neat and fluid. Also I think it is very hard to mimic liquid like that.



This is "Submarine Sandwich" by PES. What I found fascinating is that they use everyday items to represent food. It may seem a little off but once everything comes together it feels like a real thing that we can actually eat.


This is "Dancing Without Moving!?" by nigahiga. I like how you can not only create stop motion with just items, but with the human body as well. This video showcases different dance moves as well as complicated actions that aren't possible in real life.

For me, what I found fascinating was the use of everyday objects and our physical bodies to express the stop motion. I would say that if I were to work on a stop motion project myself, I would incorporate that use into it. I have an idea where it would start off as an average student's morning, just waking up to the alarm and getting ready. Then I think I would bring their backpack to life and it would go around the room "eating" the things needed for the student's classes later in the day.

This is the proposal for our first attempt at this project:




And this is our animatic for our first attempt:



We spent two weeks filming in an apartment with one of our friends to become the actor.

Fig. 1.1 Behind the scenes

Fig. 1.2

Fig. 1.3

Fig. 1.4
Our test shot:



However, because we were not able to execute the video shoot as intended, we switched to another storyboard idea.

Fig. 2.1

Fig. 2.2

Fig. 2.3
Fig. 3.1 Color palettes

Fig. 3.2

Fig. 3.3

Fig. 3.4

Fig. 3.5
Fig. 4.1 In the process of editing the video

Fig. 4.2






Final result (YouTube link):





Reflections

Experience:

At first my partner and I thought that our first idea for the stop motion would be executed just fine. However, as it was a live stop motion, it was a lot harder due to the limitations of using an actor and thus we were not able to produce the stop motion like we wanted to. So, we opted to make another stop motion using clay, but still following a similar plot line.


Observations:

It seemed possible to do a live action stop motion at the start, but once we started filming, we realized what we were getting into.

Findings:

I found that clay was way more flexible compared to live action stop motion. We were able to morph the modelling clay more freely compared to when we did our first attempt at the stop motion.




Comments

Popular Posts