Illustration & Visual Narrative: Exercises

 

01/04/19-19/04/19 (Week 1-Week 3)

Angelina Lee An Qi (0334272)

Illustration & Visual Narrative

Exercises


Lecture Notes

Lecture 1 (02/04/19): Subject Outline & ExpectationsWeek 1: We were briefed on what we were going to do this semester. We also did the Vormator Challenge, where we had to build a character using a set number of shapes.
Lecture 2 (09/04/19): Marker Rendering
Week 2: We worked with grey markers and learned about light sources from different angles and how it affected an object's shadows.
Lecture 3 (16/04/19): 
Week 3: We worked on tracing and shading with a pear and a skull. We were also notified that we would be having an out-of-class trip to FabSpace on the 30th April.

Instructions


Exercises

Week 1:
We did the Vormator Challenge, where we used just these shapes provided to make a character.
Vormator Challenge

This was my original submission. However at the time I didn't know that we can use up to three colours. So I went ahead and made another submission.
ex_1_angelinalee

This is my second submission:
ex_1_angelinalee(1)
Week 2:
We were given examples for marker rendering and light sources:
[gallery ids="205,206,207" type="rectangular"]

We started with cubes and the basics of fundamental drawing.
WhatsApp Image 2019-04-11 at 10.43.35 AM
We then proceeded to label the shadows 1, 2,and 3 and render according to the three grey markers we had to bring.
WhatsApp Image 2019-04-11 at 10.43.35 AM (1)
As I had quite some time between classes, I did an extra page and drew some more.
WhatsApp Image 2019-04-12 at 8.15.39 AM

Later in the week, our lecturer posted an exercise where we have to figure out where the shadows go in these figures.12 Apr 2019 at 9-09 PM

I redrew the example and did this:
WhatsApp Image 2019-04-15 at 12.34.43 AM
Week 3:
We used the following pictures to trace and shade:
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAimages

The objects beside the pictures were what I did. I made the pear on the left a watermelon inside and the pear on the right
week3ex3_AngelinaLee

Reflections

Experience:
Week 1: It was my first time working on a character using limited shapes. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Week 2: It was nice to go back to the fundamentals of drawing.
Week 3: I enjoyed using the pen tool on Adobe Illustrator to make these objects.

Observations:
Week 1: I should probably bring my own mouse.
Week 2: My second and third markers were too similar in colour.
Week 3: We can't connect earplugs to the computers.

Findings:
Week 1: Some of the Mac desktops weren't able to connect to my account.
Week 2: I found out there were a few first-timers of drawing in the class.
Week 3: It was actually easier than expected, even though I still lack practice.

Comments

Popular Posts